Accounting Manager Mid-size law firm in White Plains, NY, has an immediate opening for an Accounting Manager. This position works in conjunction with the Director of Finance to perform functions to manage general accounting, monthly close process, the firm's trust and escrow accounts, accounts payable, fixed assets, budgeting, financial reporting and productivity reporting & analysis. Handle day-to-day supervision of the Finance staff of 2. The prospective candidate should be organized, practical, and great at finding ways to simplify complex processes. Solid accounting knowledge across a variety of topics and the ability to self-direct, manage projects and meet deliverables.
1. Reconciling and analyzing the key financial accounts monthly against source (transaction) documents and outside information (e.g. bank statements) and researching account discrepancies, such as issued checks that have never settled, bank fees, etc.
2. Reviewing vendor invoice coding, AmEx credit card and other statements, cash receipt postings, etc.
3. Preparing one-time and recurring journal entries for the Controller’s approval before posting
4. Working with the Controller to maintain the General Ledger chart of accounts and master files/tables
5. Driving the monthly and yearly closing cycles and completing an activities checklist for the Controller’s review
6. Serving as the Controller’s backup for system security administration, cash management, special and e-billing, etc.
7. Maintaining the fixed asset register that records depreciation, asset location and serial numbers, overseeing an annual inventory and checking for asset impairment, sale, retirement etc.
8. Initiating wires/ACH transfers as directed by the Controller or partners under dual authorization
9. Preparing schedules/assembling documents requested by the outside Accountant for taxes and projections
10. Verifying that Finance documents/files, whether in manual/electronic form, are properly organized, secured and adheres to Firm naming conventions and records retention schedule
11. Participating in other initiatives as directed by the Controller and Management Committee
12. Create, prepare and distribute billable, non-billable, and training time reports.
13. Actively lead the annual operating budget process including the preparation of proposed C&F: 3978780.1 expenditures. Track actual expenditures and perform analysis of actual expenditures versus budget.
14. Communicate cash position and cash flow projections to supervisor and designated management.
15. Oversee the day to day functions for accounts payable, trust and escrow account management.
16. Maintain existing banking relationships. Contact local banks regarding loans, certificates of deposit, stop payments, and other such issues concerning the firm and bank.
17. Identify process improvement opportunities including developing cost benefit analysis. Present proposals to management for consideration and discussion.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
1. A BA/BS in Accounting/Finance, ideally with a CPA, GAAP, financial reporting and compliance knowledge
2. At least five years of combined public accounting and professional service firm experience
3. Familiarity with time management and financial accounting systems, especially used by professional service firms (e.g. Legal Insight, AboutTime) and demonstrated proficiency with MS Excel and Word
4. Strong analytical skills, proficiency with e-billing systems.
5. A hands-on ability to juggle multiple deadline-driven tasks, work with different personality styles (with varied levels of technical/business acumen) and display solid verbal and written skills
6. Well-organized, analytical thinking with supervisory experience and attention to detail. 7. Strong written and verbal communications skills with professionals a diverse attorney group and staff.
8. Must possess the ability to meet deadlines, work well under pressure, prioritize work, handle multiple tasks and maintain discretion on confidential matters.
9. Ability to motivate staff to provide a high level of client service and produce a quality work product within established deadlines.
10. Experience in the design and implementation of accounting systems and applications, is a plus.