DIRECTOR OF PRIVATE MARKETS –
Description: seeking a seasoned investment professional to spearhead its initial foray into Alternative Investments. The Fund’s initial focus is expected to include private equity, real estate and private credit. This represents a unique opportunity to join a dedicated team of investment professionals and help chart the Fund’s future direction in the asset class. This position reports to the Chief Investment Officer. Candidate must be a New York State resident or willing to relocate. Responsibilities: The Director of Private Markets will report to the CIO and assist with the design and implementation of a strategy for private markets, real assets and other alternative asset classes for the Fund. Responsibilities will include identifying and analyzing investment opportunities in the alternative investments area; assisting with policy creation and implementation; preparing investment memorandums; and actively monitoring all alternative investments. The person will assist with asset allocation, especially as it relates to sub-asset classes within alternative investments; actively participate in vetting potential fund managers; and participate in meetings with the Investment Committee of the Board.
Program Development and Implementation:
• Design and develop investment policy statement, objectives and procedures for Alternative Investing
• Establish a process to critically assess fund managers, their processes, and risk management
• Establish and monitor appropriate limits and constraints (Industry concentrations, etc.) • Establish processes and guidelines for portfolio valuation
• Collaborate with external and internal constituents to ensure appropriate risk management
Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree with strong academic qualifications; an MBA or CFA designation is preferred. Candidate should have a minimum of 7-10 years of experience in Alternative investments, with knowledge of the full spectrum of investment options, including private equity and private real estate; familiarity with leading managers, investment processes, operations, and compliance protocol; an understanding of fund structures, accounting treatment and valuation; experience in calculating rates of return, fees, carried interest allocation. Minimal travel required.
Seeking candidates with the following knowledge, skills, and abilities:
• Goal-oriented individual with solid organizational skills
• Strong quantitative skills and analytical ability • Compelling presentation skills, and outstanding verbal and written communication skills
• A foundation in manager research, selection and monitoring, and experience with Alternative execution through primaries, secondaries, and co-investment vehicles
• Ability to work well-independently and with potential asset managers or deal teams