Manager Cost Control
Evaluate, monitor & coordinate activities related to the cost & scheduling control for assigned projects. Communicate with Project Owners, Construction Management field staff, Vendors, Contractor and other support staff for each project as it relates to cost and scheduling. Coordinate activities pertaining to uniform reporting on all projects related to cost and schedule control to assure accurate and timely reporting. Develop, update and analyze cost control and schedule control documents to monitor consultants, licensing, engineering, procurement and construction costs and schedules.
- Oversee, review and direct the creation of Cost Control Plans for major Capital Construction and plant maintenance/modification. These plans include total project costs and allow for full management of costs by the Cost Control Analyst and Project Owners.
- Provide mentoring and guidance to new cost control analysts with constructive feedback on overall support efforts, project goals, and individual accomplishments.
- Coordinate, analyze and evaluate variances between estimates prepared by the Authority’s Estimating Department and bids or proposals received from outside contractors/consultants in relation to the cost control plans created for the projects.
- Develop and implement cost control programs and procedures necessary to assure the proper total cost management of projects.
- Manage special projects assigned by Director Program Controls including: direct and oversee all in-house as well as A/E cost control activities relating to engineering design and procurement activities of the project; review and concur in A/E and vendor invoices to ensure that all charged items are chargeable under the terms of the agreement; provide engineering and construction input to Licensing in the preparation of licensing documents; evaluate bid proposals and prepare recommendations for the award; develop construction bid documents, including construction sequence and coordination of construction outages.
- Develop work breakdown structure of approved estimate to initiate and update projects
- Coordinate direct Authority costs to incorporate within the project
- Coordinate with Accounting in coding invoices, Work Orders, P/O and Contracts for SAP.
- Generate and update cost control plans for each assigned project (covering authorized budgets, commitments, expenditures and forecasts) to monitor, control and analyze the cost of Licensing, Engineering, Procurement, Construction and all other phases of the project.
- Develop and update project cash flow reports, periodic variance reports and monthly accrual reports.
- Assist Project Owners with cost information in preparation of Trustee Items.
- Provide assistance in the preparation of the monthly project updates with cost and schedule data.
- Coordinate with the scheduling and estimating teams to update and revise project schedules / estimates for monitoring the progress of the project and analyze the effects schedule change has on project cash flow and milestone dates.
- Assist Project Owner in developing the itemized pricing section for bid specification.
- Collect actual costs for retrieval capability in such format as required for utilization in estimating and planning of future projects by the estimating section.
- Represent the Program Controls Group at project meetings with Project Owners, A/E, construction staff, contractors and other departments providing total project cost information as required and apprise oneself of data impacting the project cost and schedule.
- Interface and coordinate with project site on all cost and scheduling information.
- Monitor and verify invoices, partial estimates and ensure accurate and expeditious payments.
- Maintain state-of-the-art cost and scheduling control techniques through seminars and training courses.
- Assist in processing Additional Work Authorization Change Orders, Claims, etc.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ability to provide all cost and scheduling support for assigned projects with minimum supervision; ability to develop project, cost control plans, project cash flow from project estimates and analyze and update these documents monthly or on an as needed basis.
- Must be aware of changes and advancements in the industry, and develop industry-wide expertise.
- Knowledgeable about interactions with outside organizations, including other utilities and regulatory agencies, and with its customers; familiar with budgets, costs, rate structures, and policies.
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Strong negotiating skills are critical
- Ability to focus on the results of data and data analysis.
- Strong project cost & scheduling skills are required.
Education, Experience and Certifications
- Bachelor Degree in technical or business-related field.
- Masters Degre in technical or business related field, preferred.
- Experience in the use of SAP or Maximo for managing project costs / assets.
- Project Management Institute (PMI) or AACE International or equivalent certification, preferred.
- Minimum of 15 years in project controls for construction projects,power / industrial, preferred.
- Approximately 15% travel primarily within NY State
- Ability to travel to facilities to support construction activities and to monitor equipment installations and commissioning for length of time needed.