Real Time Systems Engineer
- The Real Time Systems Engineer is responsible for critical real time plant computer control systems including SCADA, EMS, and Automation Systems. Responsibilities also extend to support systems such as archive and analysis systems, security access control and maintenance monitoring systems.
- Works with other engineers, operating staff, and departments to determine system requirements, data relationships, algorithms and programs to design and engineer secure and compliant solutions to collect/present data and to monitor and control electrical and machine elements of the electric grid systems to most efficiently support operation of the company Power System to meet its short and long-term strategic goals. May also work with and supervise contractors hired to perform major system projects related to plant modernization and enhancements.
- The Real Time Systems Engineer is accountable to the companyfor the successful execution of his/her responsibilities in furtherance of company’s North American Electric Reliability Corporation (NERC) Reliability Standards Compliance program as set forth in Corporate Policies CP 10-4 and CP 2-9.
System / SCADA / Controls Engineer
- Perform maintenance and troubleshooting, design, implement, and analyze real-time applications (SCADA/EMS/ACS) such as hardware, software, networks, control system algorithms and communication subsystems (Front-end processors, ICCP, RTUs, PLCs) and associated interface equipment used to control and monitor the plant and switchyard facilities, and components of the security access control and monitoring system.. This will include response, off hours or 24×7 on-call as needed, to emergencies regarding facility real-time computing systems.
- Periodically collect and maintain data and reports as required by policy and regulatory requirements for compliance auditors, including but not limited to NERC CIP compliance.
- Maintain documentation and site-based procedures for effective real-time system and security access control and monitoring systems, operation, integrity, availability, utilization, data backup, and disaster recovery.
- Execution of, and development of written site-based policies and procedures for system administration, change control, and generation of compliance documentation, including managing firewalls, network, and system configurations; support testing of software security updates, such as patches and anti-virus; maintain backup and recovery systems and data; system account management and security audit log review, monitoring, and analysis.
- Implement and support engineering design, development, implementation, maintenance, and expansion of company-wide and site-based strategic short term and long term plans for real-time systems, security access control and monitoring system, and associated interface equipment and hardware, software, and networks for all of the facility's computing systems, including the plant real-time systems, security access control and monitoring systems, and business Local Area Network (LAN). Test that systems meet regulatory compliance requirements with NERC CIP.
- Assist with drafting of engineering specifications, review bid documents, and evaluate bids for award to meet the short and long-term plans and projects to meet company and facility objectives for control and monitoring systems and facility modernization. Ensure that system specifications address regulatory compliance requirements with NERC CIP.
- Development, engineering design, and implementation of, and recommend software, hardware, network, and cyber security solutions and/or enhancements to real-time systems such as control and communications applications, or subsystems as required.
- Assist with identification of items for operating and capital budgets, provide technical evaluation, and develop specifications for systems, including hardware, software, networks and cyber security solutions.
- Assist with development and/or maintenance of database(s) of system and software applications and configuration and change management for security monitoring and compliance auditing and develop and generate reports to periodically report on compliance requirements such as, but not limited to NERC CIP.
- Monitor, and report on, systems for capacity planning, system reliability, and maintenance and enhancements to the security infrastructure.
- Participate in factory and site acceptance testing of real-time control systems. Review, and recommend updates as necessary to, test procedures and lead team as needed during testing.
- Lead, as needed, addressing daily O&M activities as required for support of Plant operations.
- Assist with daily support of end-users of plant-wide business and local area network (LAN) systems
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of a wide breadth of activities such as design and implementation of data telemetry for real-time control and monitoring, applications development for plant real-time control and auxiliary systems, Operations reporting, system applications to enhance plant operations, user account management, backup/recovery, and relational databases management. For upstate also need to support the network infrastructure and end-user support.
- Some experience supporting or developing software used for or to support Electric Utility Operations. This could include control center SCADA/EMS systems, utility business systems such as inter-utility billing, availability calculation and reporting systems, electric system planning software, performance monitoring, preventive maintenance monitoring systems, or utility maintenance resource planning software.
- Experience and ability to provide technical support to day to day maintenance of the real-time systems (such as SCADA and EMS) and security access control and monitoring systems.
- Knowledge of regulatory cyber security standards. NERC CIP knowledge and understanding of cyber security principles and practices preferred.
- Experience reviewing and using Engineering Design Drawings & Schematics, a plus.
- knowledge of power systems operations including concepts of power flow limits, economic dispatch, MWH energy accounting, and/or availability definitions.
- Project Management experience, a plus.
- Experience on computer system integration projects in 24×7 realtime process/industrial control environments.
- Experience ascertaining user and system requirements and developing and writing engineering technical specifications.
- Ability to develop and lead, when necessary, the generation of systems test procedures.
- Ability to perform objective analyses of data and processes and develop recommendation.
System / SCADA / Controls Engineer
- Experience with engineering design, programming, configuring, and implementation of real-time control systems and associated equipment such as RTUs, PLCs, data concentrators, meters, , etc. Requires experience working with applications, I/O, and network technologies in real-time environments such as industrial facilities and transmission substations (such as: Modbus, DNP, ICCP, serial protocols, telemetry, PLCs, iFix, substation access control gateways).
- Experience administering, designing, and configuring Computer Hardware and Networks for real-time high availability systems (such as: RAID, Virtual Machines) in a Windows, UNIX, Oracle, and/or Cisco environments, preferred.
- Systems administration (Windows server, VMS, Linux, or Unix) experience a plus.
- Networking infrastructure experience, such as local and wide area networking, network protocols (such as: TCP/IP, T1, frame relay), and configuring and administering network infrastructure devices such as network switches, routers, firewalls, and intrusion detection devices. Cisco and Ruggedcom experience or certifications a plus.
- Application programming experience such as Java/Tomcat, .NET, web application development experience, C and shell scripting.
- Experience with application development and programming, and administering and maintaining databases and client/server applications using relational databases and web servers (such as: Oracle server, Oracle AS, Oracle high availability, PL/SQL, IIS, Apache).
- Experience with real time databases (e.g. PI) a plus.
- Experience on large software development projects a plus.
- Systems administration (Windows server, Linux, or Unix) experience.
Education, Experience and Certifications
- Minimum seven (7) years of applicable experience as defined in the Required Skills section above.
- A Bachelor of Science Degree in Electrical Engineering, Engineering Technology, Computer Science, or equivalent, from an accredited college or university.
- Certifications in areas such as Computer operating systems, Network technologies (eg. CCNA), Cyber Security (eg: CISSP), and/or Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) certification, is preferred.
- NYS Professional Engineering (PE) License or the ability to pursue licensure, desirable.
- Approximately 20% travel primarily within NY State
- Must be able to provide 24/7 on-call support to operating facilities.