Whether you’re looking for your first job, a job change, or a new career path, upgrading your skills to become an expert hire will help you land your desired position and maximize your earning potential. Start by defining the type of position you want, then take the time to do some research and identify the skills that are required to do that job well. The investment of time and energy it takes to gain those skills will be a decision you won’t regret.
There are several means you can use to understand the needed skills for your desired job.
First, the Internet is a valuable resource to research jobs and the skills, qualifications, education, or licenses needed for them.
Second, a professional staffing firm or local government workforce career center are both excellent resources on in-demand jobs, employment counseling, and skills assessments.
Third, speaking to individuals who currently working in the industry or a company of interest can provide you with up-to-date job skills information that will give you an advantage over the competition.
Fourth, identify the skills or credentials necessary, and create a plan to obtain what is needed.
There are many low-cost options available to upgrade your skills:
- Take an online class or enroll in adult education at a local community college.
- Seek out apprenticeships or on-the-job training opportunities.
- Sign up for a workshop at the local career center.
- Barter with friends – perhaps a friend can teach you Excel in exchange for you changing their oil!
- Read journals or trade magazines.
- Volunteer at a local organization.
- Seek a mentor or coach to help you.
Taking the time to upgrade your skills increases your earning power AND gives you more control over your employment opportunities. Embrace the mindset of continuous improvement and a passion for lifelong learning to stay marketable and keep up with the ever-changing world around you!